[openstack-dev] What's up with functional testing?

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Oct 28 02:55:14 UTC 2015

As a user[1], I would like to functionally test OpenStack services.

I'm using Tempest (which is AFIK [2] the official OpenStack project for
functional testing) and am able to validate that Puppet OpenStack module
actually deploy services & make them work together which is the goal of
Puppet OpenStack Integration testing [3].

Until now I was happy, until this bug [4] (TL;DR: Aodh can't be testing
with Tempest which is a bug I'm working on, and not really related to
this thread).
I realized Aodh [5] (and apparently some other projects like Ceilometer)
were using something else (gabbi [6]) for testing.

How come some big tent projects do not use Tempest anymore for
functional testing? I thought there was/is a move with tempest plugins
that will help projects to host their tempest tests in their repos.

Am I missing something? Any official decision taken?
Is gabbi supported by OpenStack?

I feel like there is currently 2 paths that try to do the same thing and
as a user, I'm not happy.

Please help me to understand,
Thank you.

[1] a user who deploy Puppet OpenStack modules in OpenStack Infra for CI
purposes
[2] http://goo.gl/sgI2D8
    http://goo.gl/DTR1cL
[3] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-openstack-integration#overview