[openstack-dev] [Nova][Cinder] Multi-attach volume help needed

Ildikó Váncsa ildiko.vancsa at ericsson.com
Wed Oct 21 18:31:24 UTC 2015

Hi Folks,

The work has been ongoing for a while now to implement the feature to support attaching a single volume to multiple VM instances.

This work impacts both Nova and Cinder. We are in quite good shape with the implementation, but it is still far for completion and we temporarily ran out of resources and looking for hands to help out. We have the following items left:

* Cinder
  * Blueprint implementation finished on server and client side too
  * Volume detach has a bug, which makes the feature unusable at the moment. A proposed fix is up for review, but we couldn't reach a consensus yet regarding solution: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/198400/

* Nova
  * Spec is re-proposed for Mitaka
    * https://review.openstack.org/#/c/212508/
    * Encryption needs to be sorted out
  * Code for Nova side is up for review
    * https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/volume-multi-attach,n,z
    * REST API is not finished
    * Needs rebase and code review

* Testing
  * Tempest coverage is missing
  * Manual/functional testing is missing

There will be a Nova - Cinder cross project session during the Summit, which can be a good opportunity to discuss the missing pieces and identified issues: https://mitakadesignsummit.sched.org/event/eb6adc828485d7bce0cba6654cc33156#.VifQYZeLJ4M

If you are interested in this feature, we could use some help in clarifying the encryption in the spec, fixing the Cinder bug, finish the Nova patches or adding Tempest coverage. If you would like to jump in and start with any tasks, please let me know. If you will be in Tokyo next week we can either meet on the session I linked above or we can set up a meeting separately to discuss how to move forward, otherwise we can discuss next steps in either mail or IRC.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó
(IRC: ildikov)