[openstack-dev] [nova-compute][nova][libvirt] Extending Nova-Compute for image prefetching

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 04:44:27 UTC 2015

Hi, Alberto,

I'm really interested in your proposal, have you already submitted
your spec? or is there any topic for you to have a discussion with
Nova team in design summit?

I wonder what if the nova compute host use shared storage backend,
like NFS or Ceph?

I have another suggestion, we can consider adding this capability in
nova manage CLI, since it's just may be used by operator or
administrator(at least for create/update/delete command), right?

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Alberto Geniola
<albertogeniola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering to extend the Nova-Compute API in order to provide
> image-prefetching capabilities to OS.
>
> In order to allow image prefetching, I ended up with the need to add three
> different APIs on the nova-compute nodes:
>
>   1. Trigger an image prefetching
>
>   2. List prefetched images
>
>   3. Delete a prefetched image
>

> About the point 1 I saw I can re-use the libvirt driver function
> _create_image() to trigger the image prefetching. However, this approach
> will not store any information about the stored image locally. This leads to
> an issue: how do I retrieve a list of already fetched images? A quick and
> simple possibility would be having a local file, storing information about
> the fetched images. Would it be acceptable? Is there any best practice in OS
> community?
>

> Any ideas?
>

> Ty,
>
> Al.