[openstack-dev] [all][heat] Which repo to use in docs -- git.openstack.org or github.com?

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Tue Oct 20 17:20:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:43 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> On 2015-10-20 12:17, Qiming Teng wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just encountered this again in code review [1]. The question is about
>> the repository to point to when documenting things up. Between the
>> following links, which one should we use?
>>
>> - https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/sqlalchemy-migrate
>> - https://github.com/openstack/sqlalchemy-migrate
>>
>> I had an impression that I saw something like 'use git.openstack.org
>> instead of github.com because the later is just a mirror ...' but cannot
>> find the link now. Maybe it is an illusion. :)
>>
>> So, seriously, any recommendations or guidelines?
>

> Yes, git.openstack.org is our official server, github is just a read-only
> mirror.
>
> Linking to github might also raise the expectation that we use the usual
> github workflow which is not the case,

I understand github is a read-only mirror and we don't want casual
visitors to expect the github workflow - so in most cases I agree
people should be pointed to our official server.

On the other hand, the fact that github renders the README nicely
(including images) leads to a much more inviting first impression.
For example, for the uninitiated, this git.openstack.org URL[2]
doesn't help at all if you are curious about the project, while the
github.com URL[3] tells you what the project is about and even
includes a few screenshots.  For purposes of learning about or
understanding OpenStack I would say the github.com URL is vastly
superior.

Is it crazy to suggest we do something similar with our github server?

-Christopher

[2]: http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/app-catalog-ui/
[3]: https://github.com/openstack/app-catalog-ui