[openstack-dev] [keystone] [nova] [cinder] Mitaka summit working session: Resource Federation for an Open Cloud

George Silvis, III george.iii.silvis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:27:53 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

Since the Liberty summit, we have been working on prototyping the
changes needed for inter-Openstack deployment resource federation[1].
We now have a demo to show, in which users can attach Cinder volumes to
Nova instances in other Openstack deployments.

Although all of our changes are to Nova, the changes have implications
for Cinder and Keystone as well.  So, with the help of the Nova team, we
are in the process of organizing a cross-project session at the Mitaka
design summit.  We're especially looking for Nova, Cinder, and Keystone
developers to attend and give feedback.

At the session, we will start by giving a short demo.  We'll show it in
action, talk about the design we used, and show the changes to the Nova
codebase and API that we made.  The goal of the rest of the session will
be to figure out the next steps to contributing our changes to upstream
Openstack.

We are working on a blueprint and specification for our changes.  We
have a provisional blueprint[2], which we will update based on our
feedback at the design session.  We do not currently have a
specification, but we have some design thoughts available on our wiki[3].

Best,
 -George Silvis, III
 -MOC/OCX team

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/066445.html