[openstack-dev] [Murano] py26 support in python-muranoclient

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Oct 18 20:52:22 UTC 2015

On 11 October 2015 at 01:17, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2015-10-09 18:51:51 +0000 (+0000), Tim Bell wrote:
>> There is a need to distinguish between server side py26 support
>> which is generally under the control of the service provider and
>> py26 support on the client side. For a service provider to push
>> all of their hypervisors and service machines to RHEL 7 is under
>> their control but requiring all of their users to do the same is
>> much more difficult.
> [...]
>
> Agreed, this is why the master branches of clients/libraries opted
> to continue testing with Python 2.6 throughout the supported
> lifetime of the stable/juno branches. But much like for the service
> providers and users, continuing to run older Linux distributions
> (CentOS 6.x, Ubuntu 12.4.x) in our test infrastructure comes at a
> significant cost and at some point we need to free up our limited
> sysadmin resources to focus on better support for more recent distro
> releases.
>
> Once new patches to OpenStack projects are no longer actively tested
> on these older platforms, we have to expect that the ability to run
> new versions of the projects on them will quickly vanish. However,
> users on those older distro releases can opt to continue using
> whatever versions last supported them or perhaps fall back on the
> versions provided by their distro's package manager.

For pbr I'd actually value keeping 2.6 testing for a bit: because in
setup_requires we're not capped anywhere - and those folk that *are*
still using 2.6 shouldn't be broken by us - pbr is basically the last
thing that can sanely move.

I'd be happy with deadsnakes PPA on ubuntu, or a docker container or
whatever - just having the confidence that we haven't accidentally
broken anything until well past the point that the last release of a
higher level library is no longer accepting bug reports - that would
be the goal.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>