[openstack-dev] [neutron][stable] proactive backporting

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Fri Oct 16 22:07:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We can't put in code and just hope for testing later. The tests are even
> more important in back-ports because there could be unexpected differences
> in the stable branch that make the patch not work correctly.
>
> However, we do need to make sure that people aren't complaining about the
> testing methodology in the back-ports because it's too late for that.

I am quick to point out testing deficiencies so I hope I wasn't too tired
and unknowingly did the unspeakable that which you speak of (I think people
can fail to notice the branch the patch is submitted against). Reviewing a
backport should be 90% about backport procedures: Does the commit message
contain everything it should? Does the patch meet backport criteria? (Any
DB, RPC, configuration or API changes? Is it a new feature or a high value
/ low risk bug risk? Will this somehow break users on upgrade?) A backport
should be ideally identical to its master counterpart, so I agree that
commenting on spelling mistakes, comments, code placement, design and the
like should be avoided. If that bothers you so much, send a patch to master
to fix the grave error you spotted!