[openstack-dev] [packaging] liberty doesn't have caps on deps

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 15 19:17:55 UTC 2015

On 10/15/2015 2:10 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 10/15/2015 02:04 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> On 16 October 2015 at 08:01, Matthew Thode <prometheanfire at gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> So, this is my perspective in packing liberty for Gentoo.
>>>
>>> We can have multiple versions of a package available to install, because
>>> of this we generally directly translate the valid dependency versions
>>> from requirements.
>>
>> Cool.
>>
>>> this
>>>      oslo.concurrency>=2.3.0 # Apache-2.0
>>> becomes this
>>>      >=dev-python/oslo-concurrency-2.3.0[${PYTHON_USEDEP}]
>>>
>>> Now what happens when I package something from mitaka (2.7.0 in this
>>> case would be mitaka).  It's undefined behaviour as far as I know.
>>>
>>> Basically, I can see no reason why the policy of caps changed from kilo
>>> to liberty, it was actually nice to package for liberty, I can see this
>>> going very bad very quick.
>>
>> They changed because it was causing huge trauma and multiple day long
>> gate wedges around release times. Covered in detail here -
>> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/openstack-specs/specs/requirements-management.html
>>
>>> Where are my caps?
>>
>> The known good versions of dependencies for liberty are
>> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/upper-constraints.txt?h=stable/liberty
>>
> That's good, does that represent an upper constraint for the lower
> constraint imposed by by the package?  Why is this kept separate?
> Keeping it separate means that it's not trivial to merge them with
> what's in each package's requirements.

I'm not sure I understand the first question but I believe that u-c is
automatically adjusted and if there is a conflict with the minimum
version required of a dependency then the cap is adjusted (or vice-versa).

It's separate, at least in part, because the changes to
global-requirements are synced to all projects in the projects.txt file
in the requirements repo, which causes a bunch of churn to get those
changes approved in the registered projects and then released appropriately.

The global sync to the ecosystem isn't fun, I'll agree, but I do think
that thinks have been better since Juno/Kilo because (1) we don't allow
<= caps in g-r anymore (we were not allowing patch version updates which
wedged us several times) and (2) we're better about releasing things
with minor version updates per semver - whereas in the past the cats
were releasing on their own volition and picking the version they
thought was best, which creeped into having multiple versions that could
be acceptable across branches, and we'd have wedges those ways too. I
think a lot of that has been fixed by the openstack/releases repo so
that the cats now have to line up for the release of their library with
a centralized team.

>> You should be able to trivially pull those versions out and into your
>> liberty set of packages.
>>
>> Theres another iteration on this in discussion now, which has to do
>> with backwards compat *and testing of cap changes*, we'll be in the
>> backwards compat fishbowl session in Tokyo if you're interested.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> I'll be at the fishbowl :D

Matt Riedemann