[openstack-dev] [Neutron][dns]What the meaning of"dns_assignment" and "dns_name"?

Miguel Lavalle miguel at mlavalle.com
Wed Oct 14 22:39:15 UTC 2015

Zhi Chang,

You got all the steps correct. A few clarifications:

   1. Address 104.130.78.191 is the ip address of my devstack VM. When you
   deploy Designate in devstack, it starts an instance of PowerDNS for you.
   Designate then pushes all its zones and records to that PowerDNS instance.
   When I say "dig my-instance.my-example.org @104.130.78.191" I am
   instructing dig to direct the lookup to the DNS server @ 104.130.78.191:
   in other words, my PowerDNS instance
   2. For you to be able to execute the same steps in your devstack, you
   need:
      - The code in patchset https://review.openstack.org/#/c/212213/
      - The modified nova code in nova/network/neutronv2/api.py that I
      haven't pushed to Gerrit yet
      - Configure a few parameters in /etc/neutron/neutron.conf
      - Migrate the Neutron database, because I added columns to a couple
      of tables

Let me know if you want to try this in your devstack. If the answer is yes,
I will let you know when I push the nova change to gerrit. At that point, I
will provide detailed steps to accomplish point 2 above

Best regards

Miguel