[openstack-dev] [Nova] Migration state machine proposal.

Tang Chen tangchen at cn.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 14 02:05:35 UTC 2015

Hi, all,

Please help to review this BP.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/live-migration-state-machine

Currently, the migration_status field in Migration object is indicating the
status of migration process. But in the current code, it is represented
by pure string, like 'migrating', 'finished', and so on.

The strings could be confusing to different developers, e.g. there are 3
statuses representing the migration process is over successfully:
'finished', 'completed' and 'done'.
And 2 for migration in process: 'running' and 'migrating'.

So I think we should use constants or enum for these statuses.

Furthermore, Nikola has proposed to create a state machine for the
statuses,
which is part of another abandoned BP. And this is also the work I'd
like to go
on with. Please refer to:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197668/
<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197668/>
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197669/
<https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197669/>

Another proposal is: introduce a new member named "state" into Migration.
Use a state machine to handle this Migration.state, and leave
migration_status
field a descriptive human readable free-form.

So how do you think ?

Thanks.