[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Auto-abandon bot

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 01:08:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 11:38 -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:
> On 10/10/2015 08:12 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > On 2015-10-09 17:10:15 -0500 (-0500), Ben Nemec wrote:
> > > As discussed in the meeting a week or two ago, we would like to
> > > bring
> > > back the auto-abandon functionality for old, unloved gerrit
> > > reviews.
> > [...]
> > > -WIP patches are never abandoned
> > [...]
> > > -Patches that are failing CI for over a month on the same patch
> > > set
> > > (regardless of any followup comments - the intent is that patches
> > > expected to fail CI should be marked WIP).
> > [...]
> >
> > Have you considered the possibility of switching stale changes to
> > WIP instead of abandoning them?
>

> That might be a valid alternative.  I'll bring it up in the meeting
> tomorrow.
>

> > I usually have somewhere around 50-100 open changes submitted
> > (often
> > more), and for some of those I might miss failures or negative
> > review comments for a month or so at a time depending on what else
> > have going on. It's very easy to lose track of a change if someone
> > abandons it for me.
>
> I have to admit I had missed this point in previous discussions on
> the
> topic, and it is a valid concern IMHO.
>
> As an alternative to just setting WIP on old changes, we could
> significantly increase the abandon timeout.  I re-ran the tool with
> some
> different timeouts to get more data points.  Here's what I found:
>
> Days - # of changes to be abandoned
> 31 - 36
> 90 - 29
> 180 - 20
> 365(!) - 12

I gotta say the number of reviews we are talking about here doesn't
seem to warrant a bot to me. Would it be reasonable to have a few core
reviewers make a one time pass at the reviews in question and either
abandon them (if appropriate) or mark them as WIP if the idea still
stands but it needs more work?

Perhaps we could revisit this again if the numbers above grow to say 75
-100 on a regular basis, but I'm not sure we are at that level yet.

Dan