[openstack-dev] [all] FYI - Depends-On vs. backports

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Oct 13 09:44:22 UTC 2015

I was checking out where things were at this morning with fixing unit
tests, and found that a bunch of things were all gummed up in "merge
conflicts".

When you specify

Depends-On: ID

It requires everything with ID to be in a "merged" state to go forward.
A change being abandoned doesn't count.

This runs smack into our tendancy to make the UUID for backported
changes the same as the id in master (there is no reason we really have
to do that).

So the following sequence:

Fix A in requirements master
Fix B in nova master (depends on A)
Backport A to requirements stable/liberty
Abandon A in stable/liberty

Just means that B is stuck and can never land.

It's come up to let things through with Abandon, however Depends-On is
used to stack up changes across a bunch of different repos with
different review teams, and who can Abandon and then let changes through
that shouldn't land, gets kind of confusing. Also, if we don't support
depends on across branches, we can't use it for testing upgrade
scenarios. So the current edge case is probably the least weird edge
case that we can have.

So, in future if you want to use Depends-On in a backport situation, you
need to carefully do your backports so they don't share a UUID with master.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net