[openstack-dev] [devstack] [neutron] A larger batch of questions about configuring DevStack to use Neutron

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 13 07:33:30 UTC 2015

http://docs.openstack.org/networking-guide/scenario_legacy_ovs.html(or

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/guides/neutron.htmlused a

> > > No, this is deliberate - br-ex is the bridge that is used for
external
> > > network traffic - such as floating IPs and public IP address ranges.
On
> > > the network node, a physical interface is attached to br-ex so that
> > > traffic will flow.
> > >
> > > PUBLIC_BRIDGE is a carryover from DevStack's Nova-Network support
and is
> > > used in some places, with OVS_PHYSICAL_BRIDGE being used by
DevStack's
> > > Neutron support, for the Open vSwitch driver specifically. They are
two
> > > variables that for the most part serve the same purpose. Frankly,
> > > DevStack has a lot of problems with configuration knobs, and
> > > PUBLIC_BRIDGE and OVS_PHYSICAL_BRIDGE is just a symptom.
> >
> > Ah, thanks, that helps.  But I am still confused.  When using Neutron
with
> > two interfaces, there will be a bridge for each.
>
> There shouldn't be. I'm pushing patches in the multiple interface
> section that includes output from the ovs-vsctl commands, hopefully
> it'll clarify things.
>

> > I have learned that
> > DevStack will automatically create one bridge, and seen that it is
named
> > "br-ex" when following the instructions in the single-interface
section.
> > Now in the multiple-interface section I see that I should create a
bridge
> > named "br-ex" before invoking DevStack.
>
> It should still create the bridge br-ex automatically. Depending on your
> configuration, DevStack should also attach the interface to the bridge
> automatically.
>
> > I suppose DevStack will create
> > the other bridge needed, but suspect I am missing a clue about what to

> > tell DevStack so that it makes a bridge with the right name and
connected
> > to the right interface.
>
> I don't believe a second bridge is required.
>
> > Good.  I was afraid somebody would tell me there is no point in using
OVS
> > in a single-node setup.  I will revisit this after settling the issues

> > above.
>
> Eventually I'll get around to writing a LinuxBridge guide. Maybe after
> Tokyo.
>
> Take a look at some of the patches I'm pushing, I do agree that the
> Neutron guide for DevStack got a little disjointed recently, and wasn't
> as clear as it needs to be. This is my fault, and I need to fix.
> Hopefully the patches that I'm pushing now will help. Please review!
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/233674
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/233666/

Thanks, those helped.  I reviewed them both, and posted some notes to both
--- even though the second has already merged.  Perhaps another update is
in order?

I have not had a chance to test yet, but hope to do so soon.

Thanks,
Mike