[openstack-dev] [neutron]Anyone tried to mix-use openstack components or projects?

Salvatore Orlando salv.orlando at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 15:11:59 UTC 2015

Inline,
Salvatore

On 12 October 2015 at 10:23, Germy Lure <germy.lure at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Kevin.
> So the community just divided the whole openstack into separate
> sub-projects(Nova,Neutron and etc.) but it's not taken into account that if
> those modules can work together with different versions. Yes?

The developer community has been addressing this by ensuring, to some
extent, backward compatibility between the APIs used for communicating
across services. This is what allows a component at version X to operate
with another component at version Y.

In the case of Neutron and Nova, this is only done with REST over HTTP.
Other projects also use RPC over AMQP.
Neutron strived to be backward compatible since the v2 API was introduced
in Folsom. Therefore you should be able to run Neutron Kilo with Nova
Havana; as Kevin noted, you might want to disable notifications on the
Neutron side as the nova extension that processes them does not exist in
Havana.

> If so, is it possible to keep being compatible with each other in
> technology? How about just N+1? And how about just in Neutron?

While it is surely possible, enforcing this, as far as I can tell, is not a
requirement for Openstack projects. Indeed, it is not something which is
tested in the gate. It would be interesting to have it as a part of a
rolling upgrade test for an OpenStack cloud, where, for instance, you first
upgrade the networking service and then the compute service. But beyond
that I do not think the upstream developer community should provide any
additional guarantee, notwithstanding guarantees on API backward
compatibility.