[openstack-dev] [all] service catalog: TNG

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Fri Oct 9 18:52:27 UTC 2015

:>
:>On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan D. Proulx <jon at csail.mit.edu
:><mailto:jon at csail.mit.edu>> wrote:
:>    As an operator I'd be happy to use SRV records to define endpoints,
:>    though multiple regions could make that messy.
:>
:>    would we make subdomins per region or include region name in the
:>    service name?
:>
:>    _compute-regionone._tcp.example.com <http://tcp.example.com>
:>                    -vs-
:>    _compute._tcp.regionone.example.com <http://tcp.regionone.example.com>
:>
:>    Also not all operators can controll their DNS to this level so it
:>    couldn't be the only option.
:
:SO - XMPP does this. The way it works is that if your XMPP provider
:has put the approriate records in DNS, then everything Just Works. If
:not, then you, as a consumer, have several pieces of information you
:need to provide by hand.
:
:Of course, there are already several pieces of information you have
:to provide by hand to connect to OpenStack, so needing to download a
:manifest file or something like that to talk to a cloud in an
:environment where the people running a cloud do not have the ability
:to add information to DNS (boggles) shouldn't be that terrible.

yes but XMPP require 2 (maybe 3) SRV records so an equivelent number
of local config options is managable. A cloud with X endpoints and Y
regions is significantly more.

Not to say this couldn't be done by packing more stuff into the openrc
or equivelent so users don't need to directly enter all that, but that
would be a significant change and one I think would be more difficult
for smaller operations.

:One could also imagine an in-between option where OpenStack could run
:an _optional_ DNS for this purpose - and then the only 'by-hand'
:you'd need for clouds with no real DNS is the location of the
:discover DNS.

Yes a special purpose DNS (a la dnsbl) might be preferable to
pushing around static configs.

-Jon