[openstack-dev] [Murano] py26 support in python-muranoclient

Sahdev P Zala spzala at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 9 18:41:39 UTC 2015

> From: Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 10/09/2015 02:00 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Murano] py26 support in
python-muranoclient

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2015, at 10:32 AM, Vahid S Hashemian wrote:
> > Serg, Jeremy,
> >
> > Thank you for your response, so the issue I ran into with my patch is
the
> > gate job failing on python26.
> > You can see it here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/232271/
> >
> > Serg suggested that we add 2.6 support to tosca-parser, which is fine
> > with
> > us.
> > But I got a bit confused after reading Jeremy's response.
> > It seems to me that the support will be going away, but there is no
> > timeline (and therefore no near-term plan?)
> > So, I'm hoping Jeremy can advise whether he also recommends the same
> > thing, or not.
> There is a timeline (though admittedly hard to find) at
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-relmgt-stable-branch which says
> Juno support would run through the end of November. Since Juno is the
> last release to support python2.6 we will remove python2.6 support from
> the test infrastructure at that time as well.
>
> I personally probably wouldn't bother with extra work to support
> python2.6, but that all depends on how much work it is and whether or
> not you find value in it. Ultimately it is up to you, just know that the
> Infrastructure team will stop hosting testing for python2.6 when Juno is
> EOLed.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Clark

Thanks Clark and Jeremy! This is very helpful.

Serg, now knowing that CI testing is not going to continue in few weeks
and many other projects has dropped python 2.6 support or getting there,
if Murano decides the same that would be great. If Murano team decide to
continue the 2.6 support, we will need to enable support in tosca-parser
as well. As you mentioned it may not be a lot of work for us and we are
totally fine in making changes, but without automated tests it can be
challenging in future.

Thanks!
Sahdev Zala