[openstack-dev] Scheduler proposal

Alec Hothan (ahothan) ahothan at cisco.com
Fri Oct 9 18:25:16 UTC 2015

Still the point from Chris is valid.
I guess the main reason openstack is going with multiple concurrent schedulers is to scale out by distributing the load between multiple instances of schedulers because 1 instance is too slow.
This discussion is about coordinating the many instances of schedulers in a way that works and this is actually a difficult problem and will get worst as the number of variables for instance placement increases (for example NFV is going to require a lot more than just cpu pinning, huge pages and numa).

Has anybody looked at why 1 instance is too slow and what it would take to make 1 scheduler instance work fast enough? This does not preclude the use of concurrency for finer grain tasks in the background.