[openstack-dev] Requests + urllib3 + distro packages

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 9 14:18:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-09 14:58:36 +0100 (+0100), Cory Benfield wrote:
[...]
> IMO, what OpenStack needs is a decision about where it’s getting
> its packages from, and then to refuse to mix the two.

I have yet to find a Python-based operating system installable in
whole via pip. There will always be _at_least_some_ packages you
install from your operating system's package management. What you
seem to be missing is that Linux distros are now shipping base
images which include their python-requests and python-urllib3
packages already pre-installed as dependencies of Python-based tools
they deem important to their users.

To work around this in our test infrastructure we're effectively
abandoning all hope of using distro-provided server images, and
building our own from scratch to avoid the possibility that they may
bring with them their own versions of any Python libraries
whatsoever. We're at the point where we're basically maintaining our
own derivative Linux distributions. The web of dependencies in
OpenStack has reached a level of complexity where it's guaranteed to
overlap with just about any pre-installed python-.* packages in a
distro-supplied image.

We're only now reaching the point where our Python dependencies
actually all function within the context of a virtualenv without
needing system-site-packages contamination, so the next logical step
is probably to see if virtualenv isolation is possible for
frameworks like DevStack (the QA team may already be trying to
figure that out, I'm not sure).
--
Jeremy Stanley