[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Returning of HEAD files?

Anna Kamyshnikova akamyshnikova at mirantis.com
Fri Oct 9 13:28:18 UTC 2015

Some time ago we merged change [1] that removes HEADS file. Validation of
migration revisions using HEADS file was replaced with pep8. This allows us
to avoid merge conflicts that appeared every time a new migration was
merged.

The problem was pointed by Kevin Benton as the original idea of HEAD file
[2] was not only to validate revisions, so as not to allow outdated changes
go into merge queue, that could be very important for the end of the cycle
when a lot of patches get approved.

I introduced change [3] that returns HEAD files, but this time they are
created per branch, so that will reduce merge conflicts a bit.

I understand that it was better to ask at the first time when [1] was on
review, should we have HEAD files and merge conflicts or not, but I want to
ask it now: Should I continue work on [3] or we are not expecting to have
problems with big merge queues?

[1] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227319/
[2] -
https://github.com/openstack/neutron/commit/36d85f831ae8eb21383806261bfc4c3d53dd1929