[openstack-dev] We should move strutils.mask_password back into oslo-incubator

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Oct 8 15:49:53 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Matt Riedemann's message of 2015-10-07 14:38:07 -0500:
> Here's why:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/220622/
>
> That's marked as fixing an OSSA which means we'll have to backport the
> fix in nova but it depends on a change to strutils.mask_password in
> oslo.utils, which required a release and a minimum version bump in
> global-requirements.
>
> To backport the change in nova, we either have to:
>
> 1. Copy mask_password out of oslo.utils and add it to nova in the
> backport or,
>
> 2. Backport the oslo.utils change to a stable branch, release it as a
> patch release, bump minimum required version in stable g-r and then
> backport the nova change and depend on the backported oslo.utils stable
> release - which also makes it a dependent library version bump for any
> packagers/distros that have already frozen libraries for their stable
> releases, which is kind of not fun.

Bug fix releases do not generally require a minimum version bump. The
API hasn't changed, and there's nothing new in the library in this case,
so it's a documentation issue to ensure that users update to the new
release. All we should need to do is backport the fix to the appropriate
branch of oslo.utils and release a new version from that branch that is
compatible with the same branch of nova.

Doug