[openstack-dev] [nova-compute][nova][libvirt] Extending Nova-Compute for image prefetching

Alberto Geniola albertogeniola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:50:07 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I'm considering to extend the Nova-Compute API in order to provide
image-prefetching capabilities to OS.

In order to allow image prefetching, I ended up with the need to add three
different APIs on the nova-compute nodes:

  1. Trigger an image prefetching

  2. List prefetched images

  3. Delete a prefetched image

About the point 1 I saw I can re-use the libvirt driver function
_create_image() to trigger the image prefetching. However, this approach
will not store any information about the stored image locally. This leads
to an issue: how do I retrieve a list of already fetched images? A quick
and simple possibility would be having a local file, storing information
about the fetched images. Would it be acceptable? Is there any best
practice in OS community?

Any ideas?

Ty,

Al.