[openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit messages

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 11:16:07 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> releases are approaching, so it’s the right time to start some bike
> shedding on the mailing list.
>
> Recently I got pointed out several times [1][2] that I violate our commit
> message requirement [3] for the message lines that says: "Subsequent lines
> should be wrapped at 72 characters.”
>
> I agree that very long commit message lines can be bad, f.e. if they are
> 200+ chars. But <= 79 chars?.. Don’t think so. Especially since we have 79
> chars limit for the code.
>
> We had a check for the line lengths in openstack-dev/hacking before but it
> was killed [4] as per openstack-dev@ discussion [5].
>
> I believe commit message lines of <=80 chars are absolutely fine and
> should not get -1 treatment. I propose to raise the limit for the guideline
> on wiki accordingly.

IIUC, the lower limit for commit messages is because git displays them
indented by default, which means that lines which are 80 chars long will
wrap on a display which is 80 chars wide. I personally use terminal windows
which are 80 chars wide, and I do find long lines in commit messages
annoying, so I'm personally in favour of retaining the lower limit. Can't
say I'd storm any castles if it was changed, but if most people use git the
way I do[1] I guess it should stay.

Matt

[1] I have no idea if this is the case.