[openstack-dev] [nova] Min libvirt for Mitaka is 0.10.2 and suggest Nxxx uses 1.1.1

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 11:02:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 06:55:44AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 06:46 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > In the Liberty version of OpenStack we had a min libvirt of 0.9.11 and
> > printed a warning on startup if you had < 0.10.2, to the effect that
> > Mitaka will required 0.10.2
> >
> > This mail is a reminder that we will[1] mandate libvirt >= 0.10.2 when
> > Mitaka is released.
> >

> > Looking forward to the Nxxxx release, I am suggesting that we target
> > a new min libvirt of 1.1.1 for that cycle.
> >
> > Based on info in
> >
> >    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/LibvirtDistroSupportMatrix
> >
> > this will exclude the following distros running running Nova Nxxx
> > release:
> >
> >  - Fedora 20 - it will be end-of-life way before Nxxx is released
> >
> >  - RHEL 6 - Red Hat stopped shipping Nova on RHEL-6 after Icehouse
> >             and base distro only supports Python 2.6
> >
> >  - OpenSUSE 12 - this was end-of-life about 6 months ago now
> >
> >  - SLES 11 - base distro only supports Python 2.6
> >
> >  - Debian Wheezy - Debian Jessie is current stable, and Wheezy-backports
> >                    provides new enough libvirt for people who wish to
> > 		   stay on Wheezy
> >
> > The min distros required would thus be Fedora 21, RHEL 7.0, OpenSUSE 13
> > SLES 12, Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty LTS)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Daniel
> >
> > [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/231917/
>
> Isn't RHEL 7.1 just an update stream on RHEL 7.0? It seems a little
> weird to keep the 1.1.1 support instead of just going up to 1.2.2.

Yes & no. There are in fact two different streams users can take
with RHEL. They can stick on a bugfix only stream, which would be
7.0.1, 7.0.2, etc, or they can take the bugfix + features stream
which is 7.1, 7.2, etc. They can't stick on the bugfix only
stream forever though, so given that by time Nxx is released
7.2 will also be available, we are probably justified in dropping
7.0 support.

The next oldest distro libvirt would be Debian Wheezy-backports at 1.2.1.
If we are happy to force Debian users to Jessie, then next oldest after
that is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with 1.2.2.

Regards,
Daniel