[openstack-dev] [neutron] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Gal Sagie gal.sagie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:07:32 UTC 2015

Hi Ben,

If you are not familiar with Kuryr you can read my blog post about it here
[1].
Basically we already have a working demo integrating with Neutron and we
are going to show
it in OpenStack Tokyo (probably in the keynotes and in a specific Kuryr
session).

For the OVN part, there are some areas that i want to work on:

1) Exposing the ability in OVN to configure nested containers inside a VM
(thru a formal Neutron API)
    (Which is also going to be used for the Magnum-Kuryr Integration as
this deployment is the main
     use case for Magnum)
2) Provide generic VIF binding layer for OVS (which can be used by OVN as
well) - This is already work in progress and will
    be ready by the summit
3) Provide containerised OVN plugin image (Compatible with OpenStack Kolla
and Ansible) for deployment
4) VLAN allocation mechanism (for the nested containers)
5) As OVN mature, expose some of its features/applications, for example a
Distributed Load Balancer
    can be used to replace Kubernetes services default LB implementation
(leveraging Neutron LBaaS API).
    (And other Neutron features as they are implemented, for example
Neutron ports DNS resolution by name,
     tags to resources for pre-allocation of networks/ports for containers
and so on..)

If there are any people that want to join this effort from the OVN team,
you are always welcome.
I think this joint effort in the community is much better then every
project re-implementing this or
implementing specific Docker/Kubernetes integrations by their own.

[1]
http://galsagie.github.io/sdn/openstack/docker/kuryr/neutron/2015/08/24/kuryr-part1/

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 02, 2015 at 08:19:47AM +0300, Gal Sagie wrote:
> > *OVN*
> >
> >    1) OVN integration with Kuryr
>
> Can you say anything more about what that entails?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

Best Regards ,

The G.