[openstack-dev] [neutron][ovn] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Miguel Angel Ajo mangelajo at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 15:53:15 UTC 2015

Very nice thread. Sharing is caring, so... (please notice some of my
ideas are aligned with Ihar):

* Kill bugs
* Kill bugs
* Kill bugs

* RPC Neutron Objects Callback:
     - upgrade path: That wasn't needed before, but we're going to need it.
     - implement an strategy to avoid the out-of-order issues in RPC
messages to agents,
       if we can make it work for this API, and do it all with
NeutronObjects (versioned objects),
       we could slim down the RPC in a lot of places.

* Keep working on the QoS challenges
    - help people with modeling new rules (DSCP first, probably),
    - ingress & egress path for bw control (already looking at this).
    - Working on bandwidth guarantees (best effort, and strict).
    - Nova integration (no overcommits/scheduling.)

* Helping on the OVS/CT firewall driver effort to cut out the complexity
and enhance the performance
    of the security groups for the reference solution.

* Help with implementing traffic classifiers common API, and translators
to iptables and openflow rules
    for linux agents consumption.

Russell Bryant wrote:
> [...]
>>>     networking-ovn specific binding:profile.  This is just a first step,
>>>     though.  We'd like to support this with a proper Neutron abstraction.
>>>     The networking-l2gw project is working on that abstraction so I'd
>>>     like to help out there, expand it as necessary, and get an OVN
>>>     backend for that API.
>>>
>>>   - containers.  OVN has had a focus on supporting container networking
>>>     from the start.  One way is that OVN can be used directly to build
>>>     overlay networks independent of whatever infrastructure the container
>>>     app is running on.  This is conceptually similar to other things like
>>>     Flannel.  A major downside of overlay based container networking is
>>>     the performance hit you get when you end up with an "overlays on
>>>     overlays", where you can't take advantage of NIC offload support
>>>     for overlay encapsulation.
>>>
>>>     To address the performance issue, OVN includes abstractions to
>>>     provide networking for a hybrid environment of bare metal, VMs,
>>>     and containers.  In the OpenStack case, containers running on
>>>     bare metal or containers running inside of OpenStack VMs should
>>>     all be able to talk to the Neutron API of the underlying OpenStack
>>>     to provide the desired network topology.  networking-ovn supports
>>>     this already, but with a networking-ovn specific binding-profile:
>>>
>>>     http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-ovn/containers.html
>>>
>>>     I'd like to help ensure that the "VLAN aware VMs" spec gets reviewed
>>>     and merged this cycle, as that API provides the proper Neutron
>>>     abstraction for what's needed here.
>>>
>>>     Once *that* is done, I'd really like to see some native Kubernetes
>>>     integration to be able to talk to the Neutron API and set up the
>>>     networking needed for container apps running in OpenStack VMs, but
>>>     it seems unlikely that I'll get to that this cycle myself.
>>>
>>>   - testing.  We have a tempest job for networking-ovn that's passing.
>>>     It skips a few tests for things we haven't finished implementing [3].
>>>     I'd like to get down to where we're not skipping anything.  Since
>>>     it's passing, I'd like to get to where we can run the job against
>>>     Neutron patches, as well.  I'd propose it as a non-voting job, but
>>>     it would be running in OpenStack's infrastructure.  Running against
>>>     Neutron would get the job running much more frequently to help us
>>>     shake out bugs and would also help us catch issues between Neutron
>>>     and networking-ovn quicker.  Finally, I'd also like to build a
>>>     multi-node test job.
>>>
>>>   - native DHCP support.  Right now networking-ovn uses the existing
>>>     Neutron DHCP agent.  We plan to add native distributed DHCP support
>>>     to OVN.  Once someone gets around to it, the DHCP agent will no
>>>     longer be used.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I've forgotten something, but this seems like a pretty good
>>> overview of what I expect to see this cycle.  I'd love to hear any
>>> comments or questions you may have.
>>>
>>> We're also interested in any new contributors!  Feel free to reach out

>>> https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2015/summit-videos/presentation/ovn-native-virtual-networking-for-open-vswitch
>>> [2]
>>> https://openstacksummitoctober2015tokyo.sched.org/event/89a27d6b5bab975a7a4f49ec57ee5210#.Vg2DmXUVhBc
>>> [3]