[openstack-dev] [neutron][ovn] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 15:32:15 UTC 2015

On 10/01/2015 03:26 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> On 10/01/2015 09:45 AM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I talked recently with several contributors about what each of us
>> plans for the next cycle, and found it’s quite useful to share
>> thoughts with others, because you have immediate yay/nay feedback,
>> and maybe find companions for next adventures, and what not. So
>> I’ve decided to ask everyone what you see the team and you
>> personally doing the next cycle, for fun or profit.
>>
>> That’s like a PTL nomination letter, but open to everyone! :) No
>> commitments, no deadlines, just list random ideas you have in mind
>> or in your todo lists, and we’ll all appreciate the huge pile of
>> awesomeness no one will ever have time to implement even if
>> scheduled for Xixao release.
>>
>> To start the fun, I will share my silly ideas in the next email.
>
> Nice thread!
>
> Here's a rough cut of what I have in mind.  My Neutron related
> development time covers a few areas: Neutron, OVN itself, and the
> networking-ovn plugin for Neutron.
>
> For Neutron:
>
>  - general code reviews.  I'm especially interested in reviewing the
>    design and implementation of any new APIs people are adding.  Feel
>    free to add me to reviews you think I could help with and I'll take
>    a look.
>
>  - plugin infrastructure.  Ihar mentioned in one of his items that
>    there are features implemented as ML2 specific.  That has started
>    to be a pain for networking-ovn.  For example, the provider networks
>    extension is only implemented for ML2, and the data is only stored
>    in an ML2 specific db table.  The db table and related code should
>    be reusable by other plugins.  I'd like to help start to clean that
>    up for the sake of other plugins.
>
> For OVN and networking-ovn:
>
> First, for anyone not already familiar with OVN, it is an effort
> within the Open vSwitch project to build a virtual networking control
> plane for OVS.  There are several projects that have implemented
> something in this space (including Neutron).  OVN is intended to be a
> new, common implementation of this functionality that can be reused in
> many contexts, including by Neutron.  It includes a focus on
> implementation of features taking advantage of the newest features of
> OVS, including some still being added as we go.  There was a
> presentation about this in Vancouver [1] and we'll be doing another
> one covering current status in Tokyo [2].
>
> This plugin is developed in parallel with OVN itself.  My time on each
> changes week to week, depending on what I'm working on.  The dev items
> I expect in the near future (this release cycle at least) include:
>
>  - security groups.  This is being implemented using conntrack suport
>    in OVS.  There's actually WIP code for this including kernel
>    changes, ovs userspace changes, OVN, and networking-ovn.  This is a
>    complex stack of dependencies, but it's starting to fall into place.
> [...]

One other reference ... if you're interested in looking more closely at
how OVN works outside of testing it with OpenStack, I wrote up a
tutorial for testing OVN in a simulated environment here:

https://github.com/russellb/ovs/blob/localnet-vlan/tutorial/OVN-Tutorial.md

I plan to extend it for exploring new features as they get merged.

--
Russell Bryant