[openstack-dev] [ops] Operator Local Patches

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 1 17:25:29 UTC 2015

On 9/30/2015 5:47 PM, Matt Fischer wrote:
> Is the purge deleted a replacement for nova-manage db archive-deleted?
> It hasn't worked for several cycles and so I assume it's abandoned.
>
> On Sep 30, 2015 4:16 PM, "Matt Riedemann" <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
> <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 9/29/2015 6:33 PM, Kris G. Lindgren wrote:
>
>         Hello All,
>
>         We have some pretty good contributions of local patches on the
>         etherpad.
>            We are going through right now and trying to group patches that
>         multiple people are carrying and patches that people may not be
>         carrying
>         but solves a problem that they are running into.  If you can
>         take some
>         time and either add your own local patches that you have to the
>         ether
>         pad or add +1's next to the patches that are laid out, it would
>         help us
>         immensely.
>
>         The etherpad can be found at:
>         https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/operator-local-patches
>
>         Thanks for your help!
>
>         ___________________________________________________________________
>         Kris Lindgren
>         Senior Linux Systems Engineer
>         GoDaddy
>
>         From: "Kris G. Lindgren"
>         Date: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 4:21 PM
>         To: openstack-operators
>         Subject: Re: Operator Local Patches
>
>         Hello all,
>
>         Friendly reminder: If you have local patches and haven't yet
>         done so,
>         please contribute to the etherpad at:
>         https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/operator-local-patches
>
>         ___________________________________________________________________
>         Kris Lindgren
>         Senior Linux Systems Engineer
>         GoDaddy
>
>         From: "Kris G. Lindgren"
>         Date: Friday, September 18, 2015 at 4:35 PM
>         To: openstack-operators
>         Cc: Tom Fifield
>         Subject: Operator Local Patches
>
>         Hello Operators!
>
>         During the ops meetup in Palo Alto were we talking about
>         sessions for
>         Tokyo. A session that I purposed, that got a bunch of +1's,  was
>         about
>         local patches that operators were carrying.  From my experience
>         this is
>         done to either implement business logic,  fix assumptions in
>         projects
>         that do not apply to your implementation, implement business
>         requirements that are not yet implemented in openstack, or fix scale
>         related bugs.  What I would like to do is get a working group
>         together
>         to do the following:
>
>         1.) Document local patches that operators have (even those that
>         are in
>         gerrit right now waiting to be committed upstream)
>         2.) Figure out commonality in those patches
> [...]

The spec [1] has the details on that, but really it's a stopgap until
something better comes along (see the alternatives section in the spec).

Basically there are alternatives, but they are more complicated and
therefore haven't been ironed out even though they've been discussed for
a couple of cycles.  So late(ish) in liberty we got talking about just
adding a command in tree (that a lot of operators seem to hae anyway)
until we can close that gap with the archival framework (or just do away
with soft deleting things).

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/mitaka/approved/purge-deleted-instances-cmd.html#problem-description

Matt Riedemann