[openstack-dev] [neutron] New cycle started. What are you up to, folks?

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu Oct 1 15:31:13 UTC 2015

> On 01 Oct 2015, at 17:05, Kyle Mestery <mestery at mestery.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 10:02:24AM EDT, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> > - more changes with less infra tinkering! neutron devs should not need to go to infra projects so often to make an impact;
> > -- make our little neat devstack plugin used for qos and sr-iov only a huge pile of bash code that is currently stored in devstack and is proudly called neutron-legacy now; and make the latter obsolete and eventually removed from devstack;
>
> We may need to discuss this. I am currently doing a refactor of the
> Neutron DevStack integration in
>
> https://review.openstack.org/168438
>
> If I understand your message correctly, I disagree that we should be
> moving all the DevStack support for Neutron out of DevStack and making
> it a plugin. All that does is move the mess from one corner of the room,
> to another corner.
>
> I would actually be in favor of cleaning up the mess AND moving it into neutron. If it's in Neutron, we control our own destiny with regards to landing patches which affect devstack and ultimately our gate jobs. To me, that's a huge win-win. Thus, cleanup first, then move to Neutron.

The idea is to make it *both* clean and under neutron team control. The latter has huge benefits for the team, allowing a quick turnaround on patches. We landed qos and sr-iov support in no time, and I believe the same should apply for all goods we want to ship. Ideally, devstack would only contain a single neutron related line that enables our plugin.

No more dependency on devstack core team, no more devstack folks burdened by random networking stuff they don’t really care that much. Ain’t it a win-win?

I agree we should not step on each other’s feet and I am ok to help with cleanup as Sean sees it (note: tell me more though about what is envisioned for the cleanup), or step out of it while Sean takes care of his stuff.

Ihar