[openstack-dev] [Cinder] New driver submission deadline

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Thu Oct 1 00:18:01 UTC 2015

This message is for all new vendors looking to add a new Cinder driver
in the Mitaka release as well as any existing vendors that need to add a
new protocol/driver to what is already in tree.

There has been some discussion on the mailing list and in the IRC
channel about changes to our policy around submitting new drivers. While
this may lead to some changes after further discussion, I just want to
make it very clear that as of right now, there is no change to new
driver submission.

For the Mitaka release, according to our existing policy, the deadline
will be the M-1 milestone between December 1-3 [1].

Please read and understand all details for new driver submission
available on the Cinder wiki [2].

Requirements for a volume driver to be merged:
* The blueprint for your volume driver is submitted and approved.
* Your volume driver code is posted to gerrit and passing gate tests.
* Your volume driver code gerrit review page has results posted from
your CI [3], and is passing. Keep in mind that your CI must continue
running in order to stay in the release. This also includes future
releases.
* Your volume driver fulfills minimum features. [4]
* You meet all of the above at least by December 1st. Patches can take
quite some time to make it through gate leading up to a milestone. Do
not wait until the morning of the 1st to submit your driver!

To be clear:
* Your volume driver submission must meet *all* the items before we
review your code.
* If your volume driver is submitted after Mitaka-1, expect me to
reference this email and we'll request the volume driver to be
submitted in the N release.
* Even if you meet all of the above requirements by December 1st, it is
not guanranteed that your volume driver will be merged. You still need
to address all review comments in a timely manner and allow time for
gating testing to finish.

Initial merge is not a finish line and you are done. If third party CI
stops reporting, is unstable, or the core team has any reason to
question the quality of your driver, it may be removed at any time if
there is not cooperation to resolve any issues or concerns.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mitaka_Release_Schedule
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/how-to-contribute-a-driver
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/tested-3rdParty-drivers
[4] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/cinder/devref/drivers.html#minimum-features