[openstack-dev] [gnocchi][rating] Issues regarding gnocchi support in CloudKitty

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Thu Nov 26 16:04:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 26 2015, Stéphane Albert wrote:

Here a first reply about resource handling.

> Resource data
> =============
> Duplicated resource informations from ceilometer, only revision timestamps
> changing.

So I guess that's a bug in Gnocchi, we should not create new revision if
there is 0 change. Would you mind opening a bug?

> Search for active instances during a timeframe

[…]

> Here the revision is outside of the requested timeframe.

I don't get that comment. You didn't ask for any specific revision, you
asked for a start/end timestamps. So that looks correct to me. You get
the instances that was active between 10:33 and 17:33.

> Same request with a filter on the revision

[…]

> Empty response because the filter is not matching with the latest resource
> revision.

Yes, that's normal too.

Revision are about resources modification.
You don't need to search based on revision if you want to retrieve
active resources during a timeframe. Just started_at/ended_at.

> Workaround
> ==========
> Search for every resource of type 'instances' active during the timeframe. The
> generic request is just to reduce the amount of data transfered as its
> useless.

I don't see what you are working around. You get _exactly_ the same
result that you got with "Search for active instances during a
timeframe" so what's the problem in the first place?

> Request the correct revision from the resource_id we found before.

I don't understand what you call a "correct revision".

If what you want is the list of active resource during a timeframe and
their revision within that timeframe, you can just do:

POST http://10.8.8.168:8041/v1/search/resource/instance?history=true
{
    "and": [
        {
            "or": [
                {
                    "=": {
                        "ended_at": null
                    }
                },
                {
                    ">=": {
                        "ended_at": "2015-11-23T10:33:26.388112+00:00"
                    }
                }
            ]
        },
        {
            "or": [
                {
                    "=": {
                        "ended_at": null
                    }
                },
                {
                    "<=": {
                        "ended_at": "2015-11-23T17:33:26.388112+00:00"
                    }
                }
            ]
        },
        {
            "<=": {
                "started_at": "2015-11-23T17:33:26.388112+00:00"
            }
        },
        {
            "<=": {
                "revision_start": "2015-11-23T17:33:26.388112+00:00"
            }
        }
    ]
}