[openstack-dev] [stable] Stable team PTL nominations are open

Kuvaja, Erno kuvaja at hpe.com
Thu Nov 26 13:25:56 UTC 2015

Hi all,

As indicated in [0] I'd like to put myself up for the task.

On my first reply [0] to the conversation to spin off Stable Maint team on it's own I said that I would like the team being liberally inclusive and I'm happy to see that happening by us counting all backporters as being part of this team.

What I think should be the first list of priorities for the PTL of this team:

* Activate people working on the stable branches. I've had few conversations with engineers in different companies saying that they are doing the stable work downstream and it would make sense for them to do it upstream instead/as well. We need to find way to enable and encourage these people to do the work in our stable branches to keep them healthy and up to date.

* With that comes gating. We have no benefit of stable branches if we cannot run tests on them and merge those backports. This is currently done by handful of people and it's not easy task to ramp up new folks on that work. We need to identify and encourage the people, who has the correct mindset for it, to step up sharing the workload of those few. Short term that will need even more effort from the current group doing the work and we need to ensure to not overload them.

* Coordination between the project stable maintenance teams. Everyone should not be reinventing the wheel. I don't mean that we should recentralize the stable maintenance out from the project specific teams, but we need to establish active communication to share best practices, issues seen, etc.

* Stable Branch Policy [1]. Current revision is rather discouraging to bring anything that is not absolutely needed to stable branches. I think we need to find wording that encourages to backport bug fixes while still make sure that the reviewers understand what is sustainable and appropriate to merge.

* Ramping up new projects to stable mindset. Via big tent we have lots of new projects coming in, some of them would like to have their own stable branches but might not have experience and/or knowledge to do it right.

* Recognition for the people doing the stable work. We have lots of statistics for reviews, commits all the way to e-mails to the mailing list, but we do not have anything showing interested parties how they or their interest is doing on stable side. While in ideal world statistics wouldn't be the driving factor for ones contributions, in real world that is way too often the case.

* Driving the stable related project tagging reformation.

My background and motivations to run for the position:

* Before OpenStack my near work history is in Enterprise support, consulting and training. I have firsthand experience of what the enterprise expectations and challenges are. And that's our audience for the stable branches.

* Member of HPE Public Cloud engineering. We do run old code.

* Member of HPE Helion OpenStack engineering. We package and distribute stable releases.

* Glance Stable Liaison for past year[2]. Freezer Stable Liaison, bringing new team up to speed with stable branching in OpenStack.

* Part of the Glance Release team for past cycle driving python-glanceclient and glance_store releases.

* I do have the time commitment from my management to work on improving upstream stable branches and processes.

I'm not part of stable-maint-core nor I belong to the group of gate fixers mentioned earlier. I do believe that I can enable that group to work at their best, and limit the overhead of the other areas on that priority list towards them; I do believe that I can improve the communication between the project teams and activate people to care more about their stable branches; and I do know that we have great group of people trying to solve these issues. Thus I'd be really happy to lead the efforts.

- Erno (jokke_) Kuvaja

[0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-November/078951.html
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/stable-branches.html
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CrossProjectLiaisons