[openstack-dev] Encouraging first-time contributors through bug tags/reviews

Rossella Sblendido rsblendido at suse.com
Thu Nov 26 11:19:44 UTC 2015

On 11/26/2015 10:40 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Excerpts from Shamail's message of 2015-11-26 02:07:55 +0500:

>>> +1, I think most do a good job at this.
>>>
>>> Where do you think is the appropriate place to formally ask for a new tag and/or reservations?
>>
>> This list is a good place to ask for a tag like that. It's also a good
>> topic for the cross-project meetings.
>
> Launchpad "tags" are per-project, so ideally you would find a pilot
> project (or a few pilot projects) ready to play with a
> "I-added-instructions-for-first-timers-to-follow" type tag. If those are
> successful, we could then encourage every other project to adopt it too...

I really like this idea. I was contacted many times by people who wanted
to start contributing and had troubles finding a bug to fix.
low-hanging-fruit are not always so easy to understand for newbies even
if they might be straightforward for experienced people. Another issue
is that sometimes trivial bugs are fixed by experienced people. Which is
not optimal. Somebody spends time filing a bug, editing the description
and tagging it low-hanging-fruit, hoping that it will be taken by a
newbie (there's no way to reserve a bug for newbies right now). Then
it's taken by an experience contributor, :/ the reporter could have
fixed it easily in the first place, without spending time adding a
detailed description to it.

I'd like to help. Neutron could be one of the pilot project. I will
mention that in the next Neutron team meeting :)

Rossella