[openstack-dev] [kolla] docker module replacement

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Nov 25 23:54:28 UTC 2015

Hey folks,

I understand there is some contention over whether we should make our own docker module to deal with the fact that upstream is continually busted.

The short answer is yes, I fully support our own docker module with some caveats:

The long answer is:
I would like the module to be compatible from a docker module perspective as it relates to Ansible integration.
We are not waiting until Ansible 2.0 to unpin from docker 1.8.2.
I want the code quality to be good, so I would appreciate thoughtful reviews of the docker module Sam has started on.
The code may NOT be based upon a fork of the existing code for licensing reasons (GPLV3 incompatibility).  It doesn't have to be cleanroom, but it does have to be our own body of work.
If upstream Ansible + docker ever get their act together, we will go back to using upstream.  If not, not. :)

I am not blaming anyone from Ansible or Docker for these problems.  Software integration is the hardest job on the planet as it relates to engineering, which is why the world is swiftly moving to full-blown CI to resolve these problems.  I know this isn't entirely the upstream way.  We should be fixing these things in upstream.  And we do actually do  that!  The problem is Ansible 1.9.4 is the last release of Ansible 1.9, and Ansible, being a 50 person company, can't maintain two individual versions of Ansible.  So we are really doing this as a pragmatic factor of the environment in which we operate.

Hope that clears up my position.

Regards,
-steve