[openstack-dev] [pbr][oslo] volunteer needed to increase pbr test coverage of sphinx

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 25 20:30:04 UTC 2015

Hi, so pbr has some glue that revolves around running sphinx, and it
got messy and broken with Sphinx 1.3.

Its been broken in a subtle way since then - warnerrors has no effect,
and previous attempts to get it working have broken things in a hard
visible way.

Doug has a patch up - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/229951/1 to fix
things, which may even be right on both sphinx < 1.3 and >=1.3 ... -
but without enough test coverage to know, we're basically guessing,
and since pbr is at the bottom of the ecosystem stack, guessing is a
high-risk activity there.

What we'd like is if someone could backfill the crucial test coverage:
we need to expand the coverage added in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189884/2/pbr/tests/test_core.py to
test a 2x2x2 matrix:

One dimension is the sphinx version - < 1.3 and >=1.3

The next dimension is the warnerrors flag - on or off

and the last dimension is whether the project has warnings or not.

pbr's test suite has a virtualenv fixture that makes putting together
arbitrary package combinations pretty straight forward, and I'd be
delighted to mentor someone who picks this up.

The current status quo means we have bitrot happening in docs jobs
across all of openstack, and its accruing project wide tech debt at an
unpleasant rate :(.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>