[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][upgrade] Grenade multinode partial upgrade

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 17:29:35 UTC 2015

On 25 November 2015 at 08:42, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:

> The first run for the multinode grenade job completed.
>

> http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/11/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/011124b/logs/
>
> I'm still getting my bearings in the grenade log output, but if I
> understand it correctly, after upgrading Neutron, when spawning a new
> instance we do not get successful connectivity. The odd part is we see
> the failure twice. Once when upgrading Nova[1], then once when upgrading
> Cinder[2]. I would have thought Grenade would have exited after just
> failing the first time. It did do a call to worlddump.
>
> The odd part is that the first failure is a little strange - it pings
> then sleeps until it successfully gets a packet back. Which it does -
> but then it does a call to worlddump. Odd?
>
> Anyway, then it goes on to upgrade cinder, then tries to create an
> instance and ssh in, then it fails and grenade exits completely.
>
> I'll continue digging through the logs to see exactly why we don't get
> connectivity. I see some interesting warnings in the L3 agent log about
> cleaning up a non-existent router[3], which may be the culprit.
>
> [1]:
> http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/11/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/011124b/logs/grenade.sh.txt.gz#_2015-11-23_20_34_06_742
>
> [2]:
> http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/11/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/011124b/logs/grenade.sh.txt.gz#_2015-11-23_21_45_15_133
>
> [3]:
> http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/11/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/011124b/logs/old/screen-q-l3.txt.gz?level=WARNING

Good stuff Sean.

A question:

if the workflow is: upgrade server first, run some connectivity tests to
then proceed to upgrading the rest to then re-run tempest, where's the log
of the new server?

All I can see is this one:

http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/11/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/011124b/logs/old/screen-q-svc.txt.gz

And I see no restart in it.

On the subnode (compute), I only see 'old' logs.

http://logs.openstack.org/35/187235/11/experimental/gate-grenade-dsvm-neutron-multinode/011124b/logs/subnode-2/old/

Thoughts?