[openstack-dev] [nova] FKs in the DB

Jordan Pittier jordan.pittier at scality.com
Mon Nov 23 10:59:35 UTC 2015

Hi,

However, data
> integrity /can/ be preserved in other ways than RDBMS constraints, while
> persistence layer performance caps that of the whole system

Is the DB the limiting factor of openstack performance ? De we have hard
evidence of this ? We need numbers before acting otherwise it will be an
endless discussion.

When I look at the number of race conditions we had/have in OpenStack, it
seems scary to remove the FK in the DB. FK look like a "guardian" to me and
we should aim at enforcing more consistency/integrity, not the contrary.

Also, this is an open source project with contributors with different
skills and experience (beginners, part time contributor etc.). Maybe this
is something to also consider.

Jordan