[openstack-dev] [nova] FKs in the DB

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Mon Nov 23 10:34:09 UTC 2015

Julien Danjou said on Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 05:52:59PM +0100:
> On Fri, Nov 20 2015, Alexis Lee wrote:
> > We just had a fun discussion in IRC about whether foreign keys are evil.
> > Initially I thought this was crazy but mordred made some good points. To
> > paraphrase, that if you have a scale-out app already it's easier to
> > manage integrity in your app than scale-out your persistence layer.
>
> That's interesting. Could you explain how it is easier to achieve the
> level of data integrity provided by a RDBMS implementing ACID in your
> own application?

What I said is that it can be easier (not easy) to manage integrity in
your app than scale-out your persistence layer (which gets very
hard/costly). It's harder to achieve the same level of integrity in your
app without using RDBMS constraints as with them. However, data
integrity /can/ be preserved in other ways than RDBMS constraints, while
persistence layer performance caps that of the whole system. Assuming
you've added enough workers to find the limit.

Alexis (lxsli)
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.