[openstack-dev] Nova compute hooks are not called

Sundar Nadathur snadathu at altera.com
Fri Nov 20 20:12:37 UTC 2015

Hello,
   I am trying to get Nova Compute create_instance hook to be called. However, although the VM gets started from Horizon properly,  the hook does not get called and there is no reference in it to the logs. When I run the hook script from the command line, it runs fine.

Please let me know what I am missing. Thanks!

Details:  I have created a directory with the following structure:
Nova-Hooks/
     setup.py
     demo_nova_hooks/
         __init__.py
         simple.py

Nova-Hooks is in $PYTHONPATH. Both setup.py and simple.py have execute permissions for all.

I ran "setup.py install", restarted nova-compute service, verified that nova-compute is running, and then started the instance. Here are the contents of setup.py:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/479627/

Here are the contents of simple.py:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/479628/

There are no reference in /var/log/nova/nova-compute.log to the strings "hook", "demo", "simple", etc. When I run the hook script from the command line, it runs fine.

Cheers,
Sundar

Cheers,
Sundar

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.