[openstack-dev] [nova] What things do we want to get into a python-novaclient 3.0 release?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Nov 20 16:20:32 UTC 2015

On 11/20/2015 3:48 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> I wrote this a while back, which implements 'migrate everything off this
> compute host' in the most robust manner I could come up with using only
> the external api:
>
> https://gist.github.com/mdbooth/163f5fdf47ab45d7addd
>
> It obviously overlaps considerably with host-servers-migrate, which is
> supposed to do the same thing. Users seem to have been appreciative, so
> I'd be interested to see it merged in some form.
>
> Matt
>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Matt Riedemann
> <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
>
>     We've been talking about doing a 3.0 release for novaclient for
>     awhile so we can make some backward incompatible changes, like:
>
>     1. Removing the novaclient.v1_1 module
>     2. Dropping py26 support (if there is any explicit py26 support in
>     there)
>
>     What else are people aware of?
>
>     Monty was talking about doing a thing with auth:
>
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/245200/
>
>     But it sounds like that is not really needed now?
>
>     I'd say let's target mitaka-2 for a 3.0 release and get these
>     flushed out.
>
>     --
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Matt Riedemann

That's not a backward compatible change, so not really necessary for a
major version release. We'd need a blueprint at least for it though
since it's adding a new CLI that does some orchestration. I commented in
the repo, there is a similar version in another repo, so yeah, people
are doing this and it'd be good if we could decide if it's something
that should live in tree and be maintained officially.

A functional test would be sweet, but given it deals with migration and
the novaclient functional tests are assuming a single node devstack,
that's probably not going to fly. We could ask sdague about that though.

Matt Riedemann