[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc, 20 Nov 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Nov 20 04:26:52 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

This week I've been working on catching up with some reviews and bug triage, I've been speaking to O'Reilly about the future of the Ops Guide, and also been working on a range of other things including docs-specs core team review, and the addition of Zaqar docs into the user guides.

Just a quick heads up that there won't be a docs newsletter next week, though, as I'm taking a couple of days off (my Mum is coming to visit!), so I'll see you again around 4 December. For those of you in the United States, I hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving :)

== Progress towards Mitaka ==

138 days to go!

119 bugs closed so far for this release.

RST Conversions
* Arch Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/archguide-mitaka-rst
** Contact the Ops Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide
* Ops Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/ops-guide-rst
** Determining whether or not we want to do an updated version for O'Reilly in L
* Config Ref
** Contact the Config Ref Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ConfigRef
* Virtual Machine Image Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/image-guide-rst and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/244598/

Reorganisations
* Arch Guide
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/archguide-mitaka-reorg
** Doc sprint in planning for December. Contact the Ops Guide speciality team for more info or to get  involved.
** Contact the Ops Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide
* User Guides
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/user-guides-reorganised
** Contact the User Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/User_Guides

DocImpact
* I've added some examples to the spec, and we're pretty much ready to go now: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/review-docimpact

Document openstack-doc-tools and reorganise index page
* Thanks to Brian and Christian for volunteering to take this on!

Horizon UX work
* Thanks to the people who offered to help out on this! If you're interested but haven't gotten in touch yet, contact Piet Kruithof of the UX team.

== Speciality Teams ==

'''HA Guide - Bogdan Dobrelya'''
Two patches look ready for merge now: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225418/ and https://review.openstack.org/235893

'''Installation Guide - Christian Berendt'''
Business as usual. Nothing special to mention this week.

'''Networking Guide - Edgar Magana'''
Open Reviews: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239361/ Merged: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/246671/ Very slow progress, hoping to speed up after the USA holidays.

'''Security Guide - Nathaniel Dillon'''
No update this week

'''User Guides - Joseph Robinson'''
After a specification update, there is a need to provide a more comprehensive scope: a list of Core features within scope, and include research on the nova-network/ neutron migration study. Contact from Zaqar, Trove, and Murano Liaisons on Admin guide tasks has been helpful, and given the reorganisation direction. A patch on fernet tokens (FAQ format) merged into the Cloud Admin Guide this week.

'''Ops and Arch Guides - Darren Chan'''
Arch guide migration is close to completion. We are currently planning to reorganize the guide over a two day virtual sprint in mid December.

'''API Docs - Anne Gentle'''
Review ready for the Mitaka specification of a vision for app dev docs: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/246660/

'''Config Ref - Gauvain Pocentek'''
The tools are ready, the liberty branch is set up, the RST migration is on! Pick your file, run the tools, and let's review.

'''Training labs - Pranav Salunke'''
Training-labs has Kilo patch merged! We are currently updating the network configuration and trying to get things as per Matt's feedback/request. We plan to start adding Liberty very soon and also KVM port is on the way.

'''Training Guides - Matjaz Pancur'''
There is interest in translating Upstream training; we are waiting for https://review.openstack.org/#/c/245615/ to merge to enable it on the repo.

'''Hyperviser Tuning Guide - Joe Topjian'''
On schedule - working on changing bullet-point notes into rough draft sections.

== Doc team meeting ==

We held the US docs meeting this week, you can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2015-11-18

Next meetings:
APAC: Wednesday 25 November, 00:30:00 UTC
US: Wednesday 2 December, 14:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

- --

Keep on doc'ing!