[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [logs] Neutron not logging user information on wsgi requests by default

Kris G. Lindgren klindgren at godaddy.com
Thu Nov 19 18:57:29 UTC 2015

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

I was in no way meaning to suggest running devstack for production. I was asking that operators look at their wsgi logs, and see if they are logging a username/tenant for Neutron requests. If not, providing a way to fix that (which I happened to take from DevStack). We had an issue where we tried to trace an event that happened back to a user and its impossible without that logging being in place. In directly I was also pointing out that if the devstack config modifies the logging context, and that changed context is used to make sure that logging is consistently happening across projects. It becomes problematic when people don't override the same context in their configs and end up wondering why devstack logs usernames/tenants but their install doesn't.  Additionally, people may not even realize it's happening until they need to use the logs to figure out who did something.

Hi,

I started looking into the issue in Liberty cycle already. The reason why
devstack messes with the config option for multiple projects is to replace
user and project ids with their names. The fix we came up with oslo team is
to add a new configuration option for oslo.log that would allow to request
names without replacing the format string:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218139/

Once it’s in, we will make devstack set it, but otherwise avoid messing
with oslo.log config options. In that way, any updates for the format
string in oslo.log will propagate to all services.

It seems that you suggest you use devstack for production though. I would
like to note that it’s not designed for production but for developers only.
You should generally use something more stable and more secure than
devstack.

Ihar

Kris Lindgren
Senior Linux Systems Engineer