[openstack-dev] [Infra] Remove .mailmap files from OpenStack repos

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 16:53:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 07:28:03PM +0300, Mikhail Fedosin wrote:
> Currently we have .mailmap files in the root of almost all OpenStack repos:
> https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/.mailmap
> https://github.com/openstack/horizon/blob/master/.mailmap
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/.mailmap
> https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/.mailmap
> etc.
>
> But it seems that they're very outdated (last time many of them were
> updated about 2 years ago). So, do we still need these files or it's better
> to remove them?

I think that the mailmap files provide pretty useful feature when
looking at the git history to see who wrote what. They ensure you
are given the best current email address for the author, not whatever
(now bouncing) email address they had 4 years ago. So deleting them
is not a great idea IMHO.

There could be better ways to maintain them though. Given that it
is not unusual for people to work across multiple different openstack
projects, it seems silly to manually update .mailmap in each project
individually.

We could have a single globally maintained mailmap file which we
automatically sync out to each project's GIT repo. It probably
wouldn't be too hard to write a script that looked at the list
of GIT authors in history and identify a large portion of the
cases where someone has changed their email addr and so let us
semi-automatically update the central mailmap file.

Regards,
Daniel