[openstack-dev] [stable][neutron] How we handle Kilo backports

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Wed Nov 18 23:10:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 05:44:38PM +0100, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as per [1] I imply that all projects under stable-maint-core team
> supervision must abide the stable policy [2] which limits the types of
> backports for N-2 branches (now it’s stable/kilo) to "Only critical bugfixes
> and security patches”. With that, I remind all stable core members about the
> rule.
>
> Since we are limited to ‘critical bugfixes’ only, and since there is no
> clear definition of what ‘critical’ means, I guess we should define it for
> ourselves.
>
> In Neutron world, we usually use Critical importance for those bugs that
> break gate. High is used for those bugs that have high impact production
> wise. With that in mind, I suggest we define ‘critical’ bugfixes as Critical
> + High in LP. Comments on that?

So I'm not a core but I check the severity of the bug and query the review owner
if it is < High.  My rationale is that sometimes bugs are mis-classified,
someone took the time to backport it so it's critical to that person if not
the project.

Note that doesn't mean they'll get in but it facilitates the discussion.

Anyway we can iterate on this: https://review.openstack.org/247229

Yours Tony.