[openstack-dev] [ironic][security] what is OK to put in DEBUG logs?

Ruby Loo rlooyahoo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 17:48:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

I think we all agree that it isn't OK to log credentials (like passwords)
in DEBUG logs. However, what about other information that might be
sensitive? A patch was recently submitted to log (in debug) the SWIFT
temporary URL [1]. I agree that it would be useful for debugging, but since
that temporary URL could be used (by someone that has access to the logs
but no admin access to ironic/glance) eg for fetching private images, is it
OK?

Even though we say that debug shouldn't be used in production, we can't
enforce what folks choose to do. And we know of at least one company that
runs their production environment with the debug setting. Which isn't to
say we shouldn't put things in debug, but I think it would be useful to
have some guidelines as to what we can safely expose or not.

I took a quick look at the security web page [2] but nothing jumped out at
me wrt this issue.

Thoughts?

--ruby

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243141/