[openstack-dev] [oslo] [nova] default-next-release opt flag

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 17 22:31:59 UTC 2015

On 11/17/2015 2:05 PM, Sylvain Bauza wrote:

> Le 17/11/2015 20:25, Sean Dague a écrit :

>>> There is the deprecated_for_removal kwarg, but that doesn't fit here.
>>> There is the DeprecatedOpt, but that's for moving/renaming options. So
>>> this is something else, like deprecated_default or
>>> pending_default_change or something.
>> Honestly, with reno now we could probably just add a release note in
>> when we add it. That's more likely for us to not loose a thing like that.
>>
>>     -Sean
>>

> Agreed, it's now far easier to ask for having a release note within the
> change, so the operators can just look at that. It also seems to me far
> better for them to check the release notes rather than trying to see the
> huge nova.conf file...
>
> -Sylvain

Sure, a release note is justified, just like when we deprecate or rename
an option.

The thing I like about the deprecated_for_removal kwarg is the warning
that gets logged when you are still using the thing. I'm sure people see
release notes for deprecated things and say, I'll add a TODO to clean
this up in our tooling, but then get busy and forget about it until they
break. The annoying warning is a constant indicator that this is
something you need to move off of sooner rather than later.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt Riedemann