[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [OSC] Quick poll: OpenStackClient command for provision action

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 20:33:49 UTC 2015

Thanks for the list, Sam. I've left some comments inline...

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 4:19 AM, Sam Betts (sambetts) <sambetts at cisco.com>
wrote:

> So you would end up with a set of commands that look like this:
>
> Openstack baremetal [node/driver/chassis] list

will this command support filtering, similar to our CLI ?

> Openstack baremetal port list [—node uuid] <— replicate node-port-list
>

> Openstack baremetal [node/port/driver] show UUID

Openstack baremetal chassis show [—nodes] UUID  <— replicate
> chassis-node-list

this one seems off to me. "show" commands should be displaying the details
of the requested object, not listing a summarized set of objects. Instead
of "chassis show --nodes UUID", I think the command should be "node list
--chassis uuid", which also matches the option to "port list --node uuid".

> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis/port] create
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis/port] update UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis/port] delete UUID

all seem good

> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] provide UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] activate UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] rebuild UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] inspect UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] manage UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] abort UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] boot UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] shutdown UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] reboot UUID

Firstly, I would suggest removing the "chassis" noun here, at least until
we sort out how we want to handle grouping within the service. Right now,
"chassis" resources do not support any verbs - they can only be created and
deleted, and used as a loose logical grouping of nodes.

Secondly, I would change some of these verbs as follows:
  s/activate/deploy/ - because the resulting state transitions will show as
"deploying", etc
  s/boot/poweron/ && s/shutdown/poweroff/ - because that is a more accurate
description of what will be done, and it moves away from the "nova boot"
command, which is completely different.

> Openstack baremetal node maintain [—done] UUID

I would rename this option as well, but I'm not sure to what. The action
represented by this verb is not a lengthy process (as could be implied by
the verb "maintain", like, "go do some maintenance on it"). This is merely
the changing of a flag within the state of the resource, which instructs
ironic-conductor to leave that node alone without changing any other state,
so perhaps a more appropriate verb would be "ignore" or "exclude"... eg,
"Openstack baremetal node [exclude|include] UUID"