[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [OSC] Quick poll: OpenStackClient command for provision action

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Tue Nov 17 15:22:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:19:08PM +0000, Sam Betts (sambetts) wrote:
> So you would end up with a set of commands that look like this:

After reading through this thread, I think this is mostly good, other
than some word choices. I've changed a few inline to feel more natural
(IMHO of course). :)

> Openstack baremetal [node/driver/chassis] list
> Openstack baremetal port list [-node uuid] <- replicate node-port-list
>
> Openstack baremetal [node/port/driver] show UUID
> Openstack baremetal chassis show [-nodes] UUID  <- replicate chassis-node-list
>
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis/port] create
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis/port] update UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis/port] delete UUID
>
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] provide UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] activate UUID

I prefer 'provision' here.

> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] rebuild UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] inspect UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] manage UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] abort UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] boot UUID
> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] shutdown UUID

I'd prefer power on / power off.

> Openstack baremetal [node/chassis] reboot UUID
>
> Openstack baremetal node maintain [-done] UUID

Not sure what the best is here. With my ops hat on, we say things like
"I'm going to maintenance/unmaintenance that node". However it's weird,
because 'unmaintenance' doesn't appear to be a real word. :)
Regardless, I'm not a fan of 'maintain', I think it's a completely
different meaning altogether.

> Openstack baremetal node console [-enable, -disable] UUID <- With no parameters this acts like node-get-console, otherwise acts like node-set-console-mode
> Openstack baremetal node boot-device [-supported, -PXE, -CDROM, etc] UUID <- With no parameters this acts like node-get-boot-device, -supported makes it act like node-get-supported-boot-devices, and with a type of boot device passed in it’ll act like node-set-boot-device

Somewhat in line with what Dean said, I'd prefer less options here.
Though, maybe we don't need any?
Maybe 'node boot device pxe' and 'node boot device cdrom' just work.
Feels close to something I'd say out loud.

> Openstack baremetal [node/driver] passthru

This one is odd because 'passthru' is pretty arbitrary in our API. Maybe
'node vendor <thing>' is better? Or should we just leave this out of OSC
as it's pretty difficult to define the subcommands?

> WDYT? I think I’ve covered most of what exists in the Ironic CLI currently.

Thanks for making this list - I'm looking forward to someone writing a
short spec. :)

// jim