[openstack-dev] [oslo][All] Make CONF.set_override with paramter enforce_type=True by default

ChangBo Guo glongwave at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:29:53 UTC 2015

Hi ALL,

1. Problems :
   oslo_config provides method CONF.set_override[1] , developers usually
use it to change config option's value in tests. That's convenient .
   By default  parameter enforce_type=False,  it doesn't check any type or
value of override. If set enforce_type=True , will check parameter
   override's type and value.  In production code(running time code),
oslo_config  always checks  config option's value.
   In short, we test and run code in different ways. so there's  gap:
config option with wrong type or invalid value can pass tests when
   parameter enforce_type = False in consuming projects.  that means some
invalid or wrong tests are in our code base.
   There is nova POC result when I enable "enforce_type=true" [2],  and I
must fix them in [3]

   [1]
https://github.com/openstack/oslo.config/blob/master/oslo_config/cfg.py#L2173
   [2]
http://logs.openstack.org/16/242416/1/check/gate-nova-python27/97b5eff/testr_results.html.gz
   [3]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/242416/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/242717/
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/243061/

2. Proposal
   1) Make  method CONF.set_override with  enforce_type=True  in consuming
projects. and  fix violations when  enforce_type=True in each project.

  2) Make  method CONF.set_override with  enforce_type=True by default in
oslo_config

   Hope some one from consuming projects can help make  enforce_type=True
in consuming projects and fix violations,

   You can find more details and comments  in
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/enforce_type_true_by_default

--
ChangBo Guo(gcb)