[openstack-dev] [tripleo] When to use parameters vs parameter_defaults

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 19:15:48 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 04:25 PM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to start some discussion re $subject, because it's been apparrent
> that we have a lack of clarity on this issue (and have done ever since we
> started using parameter_defaults).

[...]

> How do people feel about this example, and others like it, where we're
> enabling common, but not mandatory functionality?

At first I was thinking about something as simple as: "don't use
top-level params for resources which the registry doesn't enable by
default".

It seems to be somewhat what we tried to do with the existing pluggable
resources.

Also, not to hijack the thread but I wanted to add another question
related to a similar issue:

   Is there a reason to prefer use of parameters: instead of
parameter_defaults: in the environment files?

It looks to me that by defaulting to parameter_defaults: users won't
need to update their environment files in case the parameter is moved
from top-level into a specific nested stack so I'm inclined to prefer
this. Are there reasons not to?
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA