[openstack-dev] [oslo][all] Oslo libraries dropping python 2.6 compatability

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Nov 16 16:06:35 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Davanum Srinivas (dims)'s message of 2015-11-16 09:23:39 -0500:
> Gordon,
>
> When we stop the py26 jobs, the next version we release should have
> major bumps by semver definition. liberty does not have version caps
> unfortunately, but i'll let Doug and others chime in on that.
>
> yes, i know major bumps are hard

Yes, I would expect major version number increases and trove
classifier updates (in setup.cfg) to indicate that some support has
been dropped. It's simpler to do it now, than to do it at some point
in the future when we introduce a syntactic or standard library
dependency that is not available in 2.6.

The constraints file in liberty should protect us from introducing
versions that are actually incompatible. If we need to go back and add a
few caps, or add environment markers to support different ranges on 2.6
and >=2.7, we can do that as we discover the need.

Doug